Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quality friends

I got some inspiration to blog about having quality friends from recent conversations with friends.

But before I do that, I just want to talk about an idea that came up to my mind just about now.

I want to carry out a cycling expedition around Singapore. All on my own. The only issue that I'm thinking about is whether I should do it in the day, or at night.
-------------------------------------------
I've always believe that it is important to have friends because humans are after all, social beings. Its not just about companionship or emotional dependency, but also about learning from each others' experiences for personal growth. The key is not about how many friends you have, but the quality of your friendship.

I really think I'm very blessed because I have quality friendships with a lot of my friends. It is during times of hardship and obstacles that you see who your true friends are, and you will be amazed by how they will not leave you to fend for yourself. It is simply heartwarming and comforting to see how many friends chose to standby you without having to say you need them.
Over a sms thread, I was complaining to R about how I'm facing difficulties with some issues. The conversation strike me so much because I was so amazed by how he could see the goodness in me and gave me so much positive reinforcement to stay convicted to the big decisions in life. When I had doubts about myself, R was able to have so much faith and confidence in me that I could do it. Its times like these that you feel so blessed and fortunate to have friends to give you encouragement and motivation to press on.

Upon self-reflection, I realized that being genuine and sincere about making friends with people is key. People is able to feel it if you're not. I suppose the way I show my sincerity is to be open and share the deepest things about myself. And of course, to display a genuine concern to be interested in people as well.

I used keep all the things to myself, and never shared with people. Most of my friends who know me after Secondary School would be surprised to know that I wasn't how I am now. It is of course, through experiences and lessons learnt that I slowly acquired the art of opening up to people, which amazingly resulted in many wonderful people willing to stay with me.

I'm glad to have made that positive change. Can never express how good it feels to have people around to listen to you when you feel the need to talk. I'm glad to have so many wonderful people around me. I feel blessed.

No comments: