Sunday, August 19, 2012

Australia adventure Day 2: Blue Mountains Nature Hike

Woke up at 6am to get ready to go Blue Mountains.

About 2 hours bus ride before we reached the first stop: 3 sisters and the katoomba falls.





The shop at the Katoomba kiosk at local aminals made from used containers to welcome guests!



Apparently, because it hasn't been raining, the water flow at the falls was not as impressive though there were still some water flowing.



Took the cable way to the rainforest boardwalk. Nice weather to trek and look out for elements of the nature. 






That's a super huge termite's nest!

The place used to be a mining area as well. I was quite happy when I encountered the coal mining area because it is just precisely what I need for one of the projects at work. Even if it is not for work, I would have been happy to look at miners stuff too :)



This used to be an actual mine entrance which was sealed after all the mining was done.









The railway to bring tourists back to the entrance was very steep. If you're taking it downwards, its like going for a roller coaster ride.




Had some time to spare at the merchandise store.




Miners' themed merchandise store is pretty interesting.






Took another 2 hours ride to the Jenolan Caves and had a quick lunch at the cafe before going on a tour in the caves.


Entrance to Jenolan caves: the grand archway.


View from the top after climbing a flight of steps.





The picture above is the Cathedral cave whereby concerts and weddings had been held. Natural surround sound system!!! But the seating capacity can be quite small. 

The Jenolan caves are natural burial grounds to many animals because of its harsh survival conditions. No food, no water and no light. 

The most recent dead animal is a wombat. Its fossil is still there. 


Starwars!!!


The limestone pillar was broken due to plate tectonic movements!!!

Introducing the various lime stones:

Crystal limestone

Coral limestone


These are limestone shawls. Unlike many other lime stones that takes up formation of icicles or boulders, these lime stones develop thin cylindrical flaps. 



And this is supposed to look like the trunk of an elephant.



This is not the first time I have been in caves but it's definitely a good idea to be with the tour. Good geology knowledge makes a difference to whether the tour is just a walk along the limestones walls or a learning journey of the works of nature. Some creative methods to make the tour more experiential and engaging is definitely adding brownie points to the whole experience.

The mask haunts the cave too!!!



Even had time to try our luck in spotting the platypus!



Ride back to Sydney was like 3-4 hours. Went around the Sydney olympics park to look at the facilities for the event. They have an Olympics fire cauldron that was lighted up during the period of the current games.


Throughout the day, I made friends with 2 japanese girls.



Took a ferry back to circular quay and made a 5-10 min dash for the hostel because I was supposed to take a bus to canberra. Had to cab there instead of taking the train because of the traffic jam on the way back to Sydney.

The thing that I dislike about night buses is that it is so dark outside, you can hardly see anything at all.

It is so cold in canberra at night. Luckily I had brought enough battle suit to fight the cold.

Had a nice catch up over Jus-cooked supper before we turned in for the night. Felt so super honoured because he had never hosted anybody in canberra. He would usually meet other people in other part of Aussie instead but I insisted on coming over to visit some sites. Washed his blanket for me 2 weeks before I came and borrowed a a mattress for me so that I didnt have to sleep on the floor. Still had to use my sleeping bag because it was simply too cold.

No comments: