Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Appeal successful!

2 months ago, it came to my knowledge that change in school policy will cause some disruptions to work-study plan.

I started new planning to get the attachment requirement work out with minimal damage to work, school and income. I was unwilling but I knew my leave cannot be left unexhausted. Unfortunately, the future seems bleak because there is no way for a good balance. 

After speaking to fellow students, I realized that some of us have the same problem. That got me started on rally support in appealing to the school. Took initiatives to draft the appeal letter all by myself because nobody seems to be willing to do something about it, and I want something to be done for my own sake. 

Before I could send out the appeal, Boss told me that they are willing to grant the "3 months off" to me so that I can complete my attachment. That good news to me. 

Considering that all the effort in the appeal was mine, I could have just dropped the whole movement and let the affected people resolve the issue on their own. Still went ahead to send out the appeal on behalf of the cohort so that the rest will have some kind of chance.  

The Dept get back: 

"We have considered your appeal on behalf of your classmates. 

We are appreciative that as a cohort, you have shown good understanding towards the rationale for practicum arrangement to be done outside the employment agency. To facilitate you and your classmates in your social work education, we have decided to support option 2 as proposed in your email." 

Even though I'm no longer affected by the dept's decision, I'm really happy because my appeal was successful! 

Never really had faith in my writing skills, needless to say convincing skills. But I'm really glad that some fellow students said it was a very well-written appeal and the dept accepted my appeal :) 

No comments: