Monday, April 11, 2011

Motivation to work out again

Went running yesterday night. And I had motivation to blog about it because I'm so proud of myself :)

Been exercising about every tues and thurs with some of the guys in office gym since i started working, and tennis every thurs after gym subsequently came to be part of the routine. Eventually, due to some change in A and D's schedule to have to attend lesson every thurs since the beginning of this year, it kinda became every tues, wed and occasionally fri.

And of course, after my fall in Feb, i had to stop my routine due to my swollen ankle.

The only time i went back into exercising after the fall was the week before the move. It was a wednesday. I did 30 mins of cycling to test out the state of my ankle, before getting on the treadmill. Of which, my ankle started to hurt after 400m and i started slowing down to slow jogging instead of running. AK suddenly came in and his itchy fingers pressed the run button again. Needless to say, I shouted at him. And since he did that, I continued running until i almost ended up with cramps after another 300m.

I went for 1.5 hours of tennis on the next day, ignoring my ankle situation. But it turned out fine :)

One of the bad implications of the move is that there is no gym in the new place. All of us started doing our individual exercise regime separately. D said he wanted to go running in the botanical gardens, of which I'm quite keen for the idea. However, it had yet to materialize because we are still new for the move and there are technical stuff that we're still trying to straighten out and he is involved to work till quite late. YK started running around his own residential area, which i dare to say he had never done that previously. Khiddo and Augustina went to Delta. Augustina tried jio-ing me to delta last weekend. I have my reservations because I dont really want to pay to use the facilities.

We're still trying to find an appropriate place for us to resume our tennis days every thurs.

Ok, back to my motivation to blog about my run yesterday.

People who knows me would know that I dont really have the motivation to exercise if I'm alone. Fortunate for me, I have a bunch of nice colleagues who likes to go to the gym.

In view of the impending holiday trip in May, I decided its time to resume my exercise regime and train up my body. I was supposed to go for a run at the reservoir with poh at around 5.30pm when it started raining. The rain failed to stop at any time soon. It stopped so late that we didnt even meet for dinner. At around 8pm, the rain stopped and I geared up to run around my neighbourhood, by myself.

I ran for a good 25 mins, taking the bigger loop around the vicinity. My ankle hurts initially, but I decided to ignore it and continue running. It kinda got immune and stopped feeling the pain. On several occasions, I had thoughts of taking a shorter cut to end my route earlier, to stop running and walk instead because I was tired or because my ankle hurts. But I just keep talking to myself about why I should not stop or take short cuts. And I completed the whole round.

I'm so proud of myself. That I didnt stop at all, that I completed the whole round, and that I was able to do it even though I was alone. Now I'm damn determine to be able to get myself fit and healthy for my trip. I'll do my own individual exercise every other day, but I'm still waiting for the botanical garden run with D to happen.

Edited: I continued to run around my area every alternate days for about 1 week already. Keeping up the good work on my own. I do think I run faster when I went to the gym with the guys. Even though we're all doing our own individual workout, I think I perform better when I have company.

No comments: