Sunday, December 11, 2011

Purest of heart

I've always have a soft spot for people with mental/learning disabilities.

These are the people who have to overcome all odds be competent in completing tasks that we can easily do, like tying shoelaces and buttoning our clothes. They take a much longer time to learn and coordinate their actions with accuracy to master daily skills.

Attended a company event to celebrate 15th years of Community Service. Most of the performance items took in participants from our beneficiaries. One of the items that impressed me the most is a dance performance.

I started crying immediately when the dance started. It wasnt perfect, nor fantastic. It was started with a simple ballroom dance and later increased the pace to fit into the classic bieber song.

What people see is the outcome of the performance, how the performers danced to the song. What I saw was the time, effort, hard work and perseverance that these people with mental disabilities put in to make the performance a success. I can feel how proud their parents will be when they see their children up on stage.

Its this group of people in the community that makes I feel the greatest potential of life. Dont sympathise them, because its not sympathy that they need/want.

I've always wanted to volunteer or do something for them, with them. But I've always only put that to words rather than actions. Think about it.

No comments: