Travelling is fun. Its not just about getting a break from whatever you want to get away from, or the things you can see or buy, or the people you can go with. To me, its also about the things you can potentially learn from seeing, listening, talking and experiencing.
My trips are mostly sightseeing and walking, and minimal shopping that only happens because I'm getting something for myself and colleagues who cover my duties. And there is only these much types of things you can see: old towns, architecture, culture and tradition, natural landscapes, religious sights, tourist attractions, etc. Ultimately, you are bound to repeat the types of things you include in the itinerary.
Poh was almost complaining about the number of temples I included in the recent China trip that she went with me. She didn't really complained but she briefly mentioned that we might be going to too many temples.
Its amazing that regardless of how many temples I have been to see in China, there is always something new I learn each time. Even though mountains, waterfalls, rivers, caves, gorges generally all look the same, they're still beautiful in their own ways whenever you see them. The experience and afterthoughts are always different.
At the end of the day, you feel refreshed and enriched, not because of how in awe you were at the sight but rather what you could have reflected in you and the knowledge gained.
I'm glad that I'm not for shopping holiday trips, or spent most of my holiday times shopping. Its individual preference and I think its ok to spend time looking at things. But I'm glad that I'm not indulging in such activities that I spend lesser time on enriching myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment