Friday, October 14, 2011

Lego

Most of us who are fortunate enough, would have had Lego as one of the toys in our childhood collection. I remember having a set of my own duplo-like home set, my sister had set of aeroplane city, and we both shared a set of Lego titles that we can build random with creativity.

Beginnng this year, I re-started on this childhood toy as a hobby. This hobby however, is beginning to be pricey and unsustainable hobby.

I have quite a few sets on hand. Mostly from the Harry Potter's series, and a few from the Pirates of the Carribean series and Collector's series:

2258 - Ninja Ambush $13.90
4193 - The London Escape $139.90
4195 - Queen's Anne Revenge $249.90
4738 - Hagrid's Hut $99.90
4840 - The Burrow $140.90
4841 - Hogwarts Express $165.90
4842 - Hogwarts Castle $269.90
4866 - The Knight Bus
4867 - Hogwarts
10197 - Fire Brigade $299.90 (Discontinued)
10199 - Winter Toy Shop $139.90
10210 - Imperial Flagship
10211 - Grand Emporium $339.90
10214 - Tower Bridge $399.90
10216 - Winter Village Bakery $139.90
10217 - Diagon Alley $319.90
10218 - Pet Shop $299.90

I had probably spent something like $3000 so far, considering the remaining unpriced items are not small sets. Wow, I could have gone on a comfortable trip with the amount spent on the toys!
There are quite a number of sets that I'm interested in collecting. Some of which had been discontinued by the producer already and its selling in Amazon at double the original price or more.

I decided that I should just give up on those that are discontinued. Should I be buying more, they will be those that are still in production. Setting my eyes on:

4184 - Black Pearl *Coming soon*

Somebody started me on the idea of investing in Lego such that I can cover the cost and sustainability of the hobby. I was discussing with my love about the feasibility and we decided that its probably not going to work out. I figured out that I dont have the short-term capital to invest since it takes some time for the toys to have a high ROI.

The building process is fun, and addictive. But unfortunately, the few pieces of small bricks cost so much for me to want to continue. Perhaps one day, when I'm rich enough to disregard the cost, I would continue and really start going around collecting those discontinued models that I've missed. I wished that day will come soon. Haha.

No comments: